Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Funny peculiar.

I get a lot of my news links off of a site called Technorati. What this site does is scans people's blogs (don't worry -- you have to volunteer to have yours scanned) and compiles a list of the most-linked-to news stories, so you get your info ranked not according to what the media thinks is important, but by how many people are talking about it. This can be very cool, but also tends to be subject to jumping-on-the-bandwagon-ism. For example, a lot of stuff was on there during the Katrina disaster that turned out to just be plain wrong. But everyone was caught up in the moment and wanted to seem like they were ahead of the curve in commenting on it. I don't know -- it's a weird function of the age we live in.

Anyway, today's interesting story is here. I'm tempted to say something about how if this is where we've come to, then maybe it's okay that progress is ending (see my last post). But on the other hand, I have to take this news with a grain of salt and wonder about who's reporting it and what their agenda is as well, you know?

Eh. Some days I can talk about this stuff, and then other days... well, one dare not eat a peach, as they say. ; )

No comments: