Today I read three interesting articles on marriage. This most peculiar of cultural institutions has been on my mind a lot lately. Here are the links:
Maureen Dowd discusses K-Fed and his worth as a role-model to men whose wives earn more than they do (it's currently estimated that 1/3 of all married women, and 1/4 of all single women earn at least $5,000 per year more than their partners). [You won't be able to read the article unless you're a New York Times subscriber, but all you really need to know is what I just summarized.]
Forbes Online rounds up a bunch of studies that seem to show that marriages are healthier when one spouse stays at home, and that men are more likely to be happy if it's the woman. Most interesting statistic: people with graduate degrees are almost TWICE as likely to have an affair than people with only a high school diploma. Honestly, that totally flies in the face of what I would have expected.
And AlterNet rounds things out with a piece entitled "Is Marriage Rational?" It ends with the great quote, "In the battle over who gets to marry and who doesn't, we would be wise to remember that, wide or narrow, the circle of marriage brings pain as well as joy and sometimes more of the former than the latter."
My five minutes are up. There's a lot more I want to say on this topic, though. I know I've mentioned it here a lot. I know that I may have more reasons than most to be cynical on the subject. But it's an important part of my life and the lives of most of my friends, and I'm struggling to understand it. Comments are appreciated.
And now, here it is, your Moment of Zen:
The Costco Scallywag Sloop Pirate Themed Club House (only $18,000 at costco.com)

No comments:
Post a Comment