You know, I've been tempted at times to think of a blog as a sort of diary. Somewhere to get your thoughts down, and thus out of your head. But now that I have one, I understand better why they are being treated as a form of journalism: unless you have your blog hidden away and never give anyone the address, then you're always writing for an audience. And the problem I have is that I don't know who that audience will be. I know some of my friends and my family check it occasionally, but I also know that, for example, this blog can be found by "Googling" my name, and people I barely know have mentioned that they read it because of that. So it's sometimes hard to know what to NOT say here that I might otherwise like to say, because I don't know who I'm saying it to. Does that make any sense? I mean, what if I start venting about my job, and some of my students read it? I think about that kind of thing. It may also have something to do with my desire to compartmentalize people -- or to compartmentalize myself, rather. There's no "absolute Shane" that anyone can see; instead there's "friend Shane" and "family Shane" and "work Shane," etc. I've always been that way. [It's one of the things that makes me suspect I may suffer at least slightly from Asperger's syndrome.] But I have to find a Shane to be the voice of this blog who can relate at least partially to all of the people who know each of those various other Shanes, as well as to strangers. Yikes!
ANYWAY, I had a terrible day today. And I'm not going to share all of the details, because of the reasons mentioned above, but it was one of those days where a thousand little things go wrong. Like you forget your keys and have to go back to the house even though you're already running late because you overslept because you couldn't fall asleep until after 1:00am because it's so hot in your tiny attic bedroom and then once you got to the train station you had to put more money on your train card because your monthly pass that you've already paid for isn't working for some reason and so you miss the train you were hoping to be on because you were busy paying twice to get on it. One of those days where you spill things, and you drop things, and your cd player skips, and you get bad news, and you roll a piano over your big toe. Yep. One of those days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Yeesh. That sounds like a really crap day all the way around. You deserve a pizza. And maybe a hooker. No? Just the pizza? Oh, all right.
~Chris W.
Sorry about the day...
I do think that it is an interesting question - "Who reads my blog?" While most of the students I know probably don't know that it exists or read it, there are other students who regularly do (from other institutions). So, there is always a chance that someone from NU will pick up on it.
Also, the public site means that I need to recognize that other clergy may read mine (or any number of my bishops...). That may be one area where seminary was helpful - we spent time actually talking about the publich nature of blogs - and what doing theology there means. Some people I know have gotten in trouble becuase of their blogs and what got put there that offended others...
Yes, very hard to compartmentalize in a public forum.
Heather
I hear that euchre is always a good cure for a bad day. but i also hear that euchre is an elusive endeavor that might make things even more frustrating. what to do? what to do?
Mikey B.
i've heard the euchre can be a nice restorative to a bad day/week. but as i understand it, euchre can also be an elusive endeavor that might only add more frustration to said day/week. but sometimes it's worth it :)
Mikey B.
Post a Comment