Well, whether you care or not, here are some things I'm thinking:
- A while back I wrote about commercials in the theater. Now they're in books, too!
- Reading an article today about the proliferation on pornography in modern society (in Utne magazine), I was struck by the following quote:
"Powerful portrayals of evil are risky but morally valuable, precisely because they help dispel the comfortable notion that evil is wholly other. That notion tends to beget the thought that what we are doing cannot possibly be evil, since we are the ones who are doing it... The comfortable, secure belief in our own innocence is the most insidious temptation of all. Next to that, the seductiveness of sex is pretty tame."
- There has been a weird proliferation of Peter Pan connections in my life lately. First, I purchased and was blown away by Alan Moore and Melinda Gebbe's "Lost Girls" (great review here). Then I bought Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson's "Peter and the Starcatchers" (the sequel to which also came out just recently). And now today I read that the "official" sequel to Peter Pan, "Peter Pan in Scarlet" will be released this week. Not sure how I feel about that last one. I approve of J.M. donating the rights to the book to a children's hospital. I don't approve of the decision that the UK made in 1988 (when the rights were supposed to expire) to extend those rights INDEFINITELY. I also don't approve of their threatening legal action against the "Lost Girls" folks mentioned above.
- And in personal news, this has been/is a busy week for me. I've joined a bowling league, which started on Monday. I stage managed a benefit for Gilda's Club on Thursday. I went to an art extravaganza on Friday. Saturday, Mark and I went to the Cubs game against Colorado (Cubs lost in the 14th inning):

Yesterday, my first time ever in Soldier Field, I went to the Bears game against Seattle (Bears DECIMATED them!):

Tonight, Jonathan Coulton will be playing at the House of Blues. And tomorrow, Mikey B. is in a show called "War is Bad: Sock Puppet Euripides." Phew!
How weird is it for me to see two professional sporting events in the same weekend? I've never been a huge sports fan. As a kid I abhorred them. They seemed the antithesis of the life of the mind that I was trying to build (a perception that was largely influenced by movies and books, I must admit -- see below). In high school I discovered the social aspects of attending a game (and even became friends with our school quarterback), which carried over to WMU, but Columbia doesn't do sports, so they were totally off my radar for a long time (except for the riots each time the Bulls would win a championship). But about 6 years ago, I started watching football. It started again for social reasons, but after a while I got caught up in it. And now I've learned enough that I can appreciate what's happening on the field, and I can finally say that I'm a football fan! Not a huge one, and mostly just the Bears, but enough of one to really enjoy going to the game.
And now, here it is - your Moment of Zen:


No comments:
Post a Comment