ANYWAY -- as you saw in my recent post about the new job, I've been conflicted about the change. Luckily for me, I have a mentor: Sheldon Patinkin, the chairman of Columbia College's theater department and one of the founders of the Second City. Because of Sheldon's connections, the school and the theater have had a close relationship over the years. Whenever I wonder why on earth Second City hired a fresh-out-of-college 22-year-old me and gave me a ton of responsibility (I don't know that I would have trusted me!), I remember that I had Sheldon's recommendation, and that goes a LONG way in this town. In fact, it was more than a recommendation -- as I recall he phoned the producer and said, "I'm sending someone over for you to hire." : ) He saw my potential, supported and encouraged me all the way through school, and helped me land my first professional gig. If that's not the definition of a mentor, I don't know what is.
So, yesterday morning I was at a meeting at Columbia, which Sheldon was also attending, about remodelling the lobby of the studio theater. After the meeting, he pulled me aside to congratulate me on the new job. And then he said something that melted all those conflicts I'd been having. He said, "I knew in advance that they were going to offer you the job; and if you hadn't taken it, I'd have told you you were crazy."
Thanks, Sheldon. That's what I needed to hear, and I didn't even know it. And coming from you, it means more than I can say. You're a good friend, a great director, an awesome teacher, and an unbelievable mentor. Now if only you had a daughter. . . . .
And now, here it is - your Moment of Zen:

No comments:
Post a Comment