My friend Scott has this theory that he calls intertexuality. It's the idea that once you hear something, you're more aware of it and thus more likely to spot it other places, so it seems like the thing you heard is now cropping up all over.
For example, this morning I was in a store, and the owner had The View on her TV and they were interviewing a woman whose husband had disappeared without a trace and left her $6 million in debt. And then I get back to the office, and I read this article in the New York Times about a woman whose husband disappeared without a trace.
But I don't know if this fits: the longer I spend working at the college, the more people from that time of my life I reconnect with. Just since the beginning of the year, I've reconnected with five old friends. A couple of them I've just bumped into when they've been at the school, but one I ran into at a bar, one in a mall in Nashville, and one tracked me down through MySpace. I don't know if all of this can be written off as coincidence. Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something.....
UPDATE: One week later, two more old friends have connected with me through MySpace since I wrote this....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment